mandag 11. august 2014

Cardboard armor (Dragon Warrior)

I wanted to show you that you don't always have to use worbla or spend a lot of money on you costumes. So for Genki 2014 I designed a character using cardboard as my main material. 


Step one, make a base. To get the Boob cups I blew up two balloons in roughly my size and covered them in paper mache (newspaper, glue and water).

Then I traced a bra onto cardboard and taped the boob cups on. 

 Squares, so many squares. 

Each square is glued on with only a glue gun. 

Slowly getting there. 

For the edges I used strips of craft foam, again just glued on with a glue gun.


Before painting I covered the entire armor in wood glue. Then I did one layer of bright green acrylic paint. 

To get a more metallic look I sprayed it with a this layer of metallic grey paint. 


The edges were painted gold and all the scales first got dark shading and then the tips got a thin gold coat with a dry brush.  

The armor is laced up like a corset in the back, and this is the final look of my character - which people have named "Cardboard". More post about the horns, crossbow and total look later. 

The armor is just lased on as a corset in the back, with grommets for the holes (see tutorial on corset for more info about grommets and such)

19 kommentarer:

  1. Would never had thought that chest piece was made out of cardboard! Amazing and inspiring work!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you :D I love it when people show me their smart solutions, so I try to share as many as possible of mine :D

      Slett
  2. That's so amazing! but how did you do the back? i still have a problem with it in every armor!
    do you have a easy solution for it too?

    pd. I'm actually a huge fan of you <3

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. For you I updated the tutorial with one more picture. In the back I have added normal grommets and just laced the armor on. It sits really well to my upper body, so I don't need any more attachment. :) And thank, I't is kinda cool to have fans ^_^

      Slett
  3. What is the size of the squares that you cut out?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Ca 1,5 cm x 1,5 cm. But they are cut out by hand on eye measure, so non of them are the same size.

      Slett
  4. Could I do this and post the process on my deviantart page? I can link to you if you want.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, sure you can do that. I would of course love it if you linked to me also :) <3

      Slett
  5. Hello! Sorry this may seem like a dumb question when you trace the bra did you trace the entire bra or just the under wire?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I traced almost all of it, to know how "long" I had to made the armor to go around my body ;)

      Slett
  6. What type of cardboard did you use for the bra part? Is that like a cereal box?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Cereal boxes are good This is from a frozen pizza, but has the same density as cereal box :)

      Slett
  7. What kind of crafting foam did you use?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. 2mm craft foam from a local art&craft store :)

      Slett
  8. How sturdy was this piece? Should I wear something under it just in case?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Mine was pretty sturdy, But I like to have a t-shirt or tanktop under my armor (no matter the material it is made of) :)

      Slett
  9. I love this. Thanks. I will use it to make my female Bowser cosplay <3. Hope you are goof :D

    SvarSlett